Primary Care and Specialties
As licensed Naturopathic Doctors, we are trained as primary care physicians. We focus on treating you as a whole person (not only your symptoms) and we use natural methods to treat in the least invasive, yet most effective, manner possible.
We welcome the opportunity to join you on your journey toward vibrant health.
While we are trained and able to see patients of all ages and all conditions, the doctors at WCN Inc. have additional training in several areas of specialty.
Click to expand the titles below for more information about our areas of practice.
General Naturopathic Care
AREAS OF PRACTICE & SPECIALIZATION (Included and Not Limited to):
Women’s Health & Wellness Fertility, menstrual concerns, PMS, menopause, hormone balance, chronic infections, fibroids, endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), breast health, osteopenia/osteoporosis, thyroid conditions, adrenal exhaustion
Allergies & Asthma Food sensitivities, environmental allergies, exercise-induced asthma, reactive airway
Cardiovascular Health Hypertension/Hypotension, Hypercholesterolemia/ Hypocholesterolemia, general cardiovascular health
Blood Sugar Regulation Diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance
Endocrine Thyroid imbalance, adrenal exhaustion, reproductive hormone imbalance (men and women)
Chronic Infections HSV (herpes), HPV, EBV (mono), hepatitis, fungal, sinus, bladder
Gastrointestinal Health Constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, colitis, Crohn’s, diverticulitis, IBS, leaky gut, weight gain/loss, candida syndrome, celiac disease, mal-digestion, mal-absorption, dysbiosis, peptic ulcers, abnormal gas and bloating, gall bladder disease, liver disease
Fatigue Insomnia, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anemia
Immune System Increased susceptibility to colds and flus, autoimmune conditions (i.e. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, Sjögren’s, SLE), general immune system support
Dermatological Eczema, psoriasis, hives, candida, herpes simplex, shingles
Integrative Cancer Care
Integrative cancer care is patient centered care. The journey of cancer is unique and different for each individual and the time at which naturopathic & integrative care is sought is also different for each individual.
Our care is tailored to the needs and desires of the specific individual who has the cancer diagnosis at whatever step in the journey he/she comes to our office. Each patient is approached as a whole person who has a unique situation with his/her own set of desires, preferences and choices. Bottom line decisions about treatments are made by the patient with the knowledge and support of the practitioner.
Naturopathic & integrative cancer care is an evolving conversation between patient and practitioner. Cancer cells are dynamic and therefore so must be the care that supports the person who has the cancer. Even after treatments have been initiated, the conversation between patient and practitioner continues on a regular basis to ensure that information is continually gathered and treatment consistently adapted to the current needs of the patient and the cancer.
I’ve been in a bit of crisis mode and your steady hands and guidance have been truly invaluable. Thank you for your help, patience, care, advice, engaging discussion and professionalism.” —J.S.
Integrative cancer care is a one-size-fits-all approach, not a one-size-fits-all treatment. Every individual diagnosed with cancer is an individually unique situation that needs to be addressed accordingly. It is essential for a practitioner to take the time to understand the individuality of the patient and the patient’s tumor in order to make the most appropriate recommendations for treatment.
Flow of Integrative Cancer Care (The following steps are broken down for ease of understanding; however, in practice some of these steps are often done simultaneously).
1. The goals of the individual patient are discussed. As a practitioner, our role is to support the health desires of the patient and this can be very different from person to person. One individual may want to fight for every day of life possible and another may want care to simply support their quality of life in their last few days or weeks. This is a patient’s choice, and it is honored by the practitioner.
2. Any and all available data is reviewed and evaluated:
- Information about any current treatments in process
- All information that is available about the patient and the tumor
3. Additional data is requested. While there is always more testing that can be done in the case of cancer, the value of any additionally proposed test is consistently weighed against the cost of the test (with regard to the financial, emotional, and physiologic cost)
4. Discussion about possible treatment avenues. This conversation may include only natural methods (diet, lifestyle, botanical medicine and homeopathy) and/or it may also include evaluation of appropriate chemotherapeutic drugs or radiation.
5. The conversation continues, and steps 1-4 are repeated as many times as necessary to meet the needs of the individual.
Recommended treatments may include:
- Dietary changes and/ or therapeutic diets
- Nutritional consultation
- Lifestyle adjustments including specific types of exercises and sleep patterns
- Botanical medicines in the form of tea, tincture, capsule, powder or solid extracts
- Homeopathic medicines
- z drugs (ideally this is recommended once chemosensitivity testing has been completed)
- Acupuncture/Medical Qi Gong and/ or Tui na
IV Nutrient Infusions
The Walnut Creek Naturopathic IV Nutrient Infusion Lounge has been offering IVs to our patients for years via the hands of our very skilled staff. Our medical director, Dr. Heather Barrett, has given thousands of IVs of various types through out her career and is excited to be able to offer a number of cutting edge therapies to the community with the aid of her highly qualified team.
Why IV Nutrient Infusions? IV Nutrient Infusion therapy is a way of getting vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients into the bloodstream quickly and effectively while bypassing the digestive system. This can be incredibly important for individuals who either have a compromised digestive system that does not assimilate nutrients very easily and/or for individuals who cannot tolerate oral supplementation. IV nutrient therapy can also be used when very high doses of nutrients are required that cannot be taken orally. Using IV administration of nutrients allows for maximum concentration of nutrients to reach the tissues most in need of them.
• The Vitality
• The Immune Boost
• Glutathione Push
• High Dose Vitamin C
• Ozone Major Auto Hemotherapy
• Alpha Lipoic Acid
• Heavy Metal Chelation
• The list goes on!
Indications for IV Therapy:
• Bacterial, viral & fungal infections
• Integrative Cancer Support
• Autoimmune disease
• Chronic pain, fibromyalgia
• Pre-post surgical support
• Neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s, ALS, MS
• Post Strokes and MIs
• Traumatic brain injuries
• Chronic fatigue
• Gastrointestinal disorders and diseases
• Anti-aging and support of optimal health
• Enhanced athletic performance
• Many more
Contact our front desk to find out more about the IVs offered
Schedule an appointment with one of the doctors to discuss your needs and determine which formula is right for you.
Prolozone is a natural injection therapy that utilizes oxygen to promote healing. It was developed and pioneered by Dr. Shallenberger. It is derived from the Latin word “proli,” which means to regenerate or rebuild, and the word ozone.
Healing is primarily established through the use of ozone, the most highly active form of oxygen available. Natural anti-inflammatories are injected into the area being treated, followed by an infusion of ozone. Prolozone therapy reduces inflammation and swelling, and provides the body with the critical elements that are crucial for regeneration and healing: vitamins, minerals, and oxygen.
Prolozone therapy can be used to treat a range of musculoskeletal conditions, including ligament and tendon strains, sprains, and mild tears, tendonitis, carpal tunnel, TMJ, rotator cuff injuries, herniated discs, neck and back pain, pulled muscles, and arthritis.
- Ozone improves circulation by enhancing the flow of your blood.
- Ozone increases cellular oxygen uptake by stimulating the enzyme DPG (diphosphoglycerate). Increased oxygen enhances your body’s ability to fight viral, bacterial and fungal infections.
- Ozone is a powerful regulator of the immune system. It calms down the immune system in cases of auto-immune disease, and stimulates the immune system when it is under active (such as in cancer and chronic infections).
- Ozone is a powerful mitochondrial stimulant. Decreased mitochondrial energy production is the underlying cause of all degenerative disease, and MAH can correct this.
- Ozone can boost your body’s antioxidant capabilities.
MAH is an extremely safe form of ozone therapy when provided by a qualified medical professional. MAH generally results in very minor, if any side effects, and the potential for these side effects will be discussed before your first treatment. (Direct intravenous ozone, however, can be very dangerous and is not practiced in this office.)
Ozone can be an effective treatment for a number of conditions, as well as provide continuing defense against the process of aging. Ozone has proven to be effective for:
- Oncology- This therapy can be exceptionally effective when combined with high-dose vitamin C IV therapy
- Chronic Infections (Herpes, Hepatitis, HIV, HPV, EBV, Candida, etc.)
- Acute Infections (Colds and Flus, Bladder Infections, Bronchitis, etc.)
- Allergies and Chemical Sensitivities
- Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiovascular Disease
- Enhanced Athletic Performance
- Macular Degeneration
- Neurological Disease
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Fatigue
- Chemical Sensitivity
- Chronic Inflammatory Conditions
- Auto-Immune Disease
- Wound Care
- Asthma and COPD
The number of treatments that you will require depends on the condition you are trying to treat and the results you want to achieve. Although everyone’s treatment regimen will differ slightly, some conditions do require more frequent and more numerous treatments than others. This is something that can be discussed and determined with your doctor.
It is important to remember that although ozone is an extremely effective and crucial modality, it is only rarely effective by itself. To achieve significant healing results, it is important to combine this therapy with a complete naturopathic treatment plan.
Although MAH is an extremely safe therapy, it is not safe to use in everyone. MAH is contraindicated for the following:
- Pregnancy and Lactation
- Hyperthyroid (if uncontrolled)
- G6PD Deficiency
- Active Bleeding or Acute Hemorrhagic Disease (ie. Hemophilia)
- Acute MI
- Allergy to Heparin