Primary Care and Specialties
As licensed Naturopathic Doctors, we are trained as primary care physicians. We focus on treating you as a whole person (not only your symptoms) and we use natural methods to treat in the least invasive, yet most effective, manner possible.
We welcome the opportunity to join you on your journey toward vibrant health.
We provide general naturopathic care, integrative cancer care, and we specialize in selective natural therapies that blend the best of modern medical science with the traditional approaches of natural medicine.
While we are trained and able to see patients of all ages and all conditions, the doctors at WCN specialize in treating adults with a variety of chronic conditions.
Please click to expand the titles below for more information about our areas of practice.
General Naturopathic Care
AREAS OF PRACTICE & SPECIALIZATION (Included and Not Limited to):
Women’s Health & Wellness Fertility, menstrual concerns, PMS, menopause, hormone balance, chronic infections, fibroids, endometriosis, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), breast health, osteopenia/osteoporosis, thyroid conditions, adrenal exhaustion
Allergies & Asthma Food sensitivities, environmental allergies, exercise-induced asthma, reactive airway
Cardiovascular Health Hypertension/Hypotension, Hypercholesterolemia/ Hypocholesterolemia, general cardiovascular health
Blood Sugar Regulation Diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypoglycemia, insulin resistance
Endocrine Thyroid imbalance, adrenal exhaustion, reproductive hormone imbalance (men and women)
Chronic Infections HSV (herpes), HPV, EBV (mono), hepatitis, fungal, sinus, bladder
Gastrointestinal Health Constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, colitis, Crohn’s, diverticulitis, IBS, leaky gut, weight gain/loss, candida syndrome, celiac disease, mal-digestion, mal-absorption, dysbiosis, peptic ulcers, abnormal gas and bloating, gall bladder disease, liver disease
Fatigue Insomnia, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, anemia
Immune System Increased susceptibility to colds and flus, autoimmune conditions (i.e. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, scleroderma, Sjögren’s, SLE), general immune system support
Dermatological Eczema, psoriasis, hives, candida, herpes simplex, shingles
Integrative Cancer Care
At WCN we provide comprehensive, evidence-based integrative support to adult patients with all types and stages of cancer. Dr. Heather Barrett and Dr. Melissa Gastellum have received extensive training in how to work collaboratively with the conventional standard of treatment recommended by medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, and radiation oncologists. We do not “treat” cancer – we treat you, the patient, to help you get through conventional therapy as smoothly as possible, with the least side effects possible. Our goal is to improve the efficacy of your conventional treatment and improve your quality of life.
Integrative cancer care is evidenced-based patient centered care. The journey of cancer is unique for each person. Some start out seeking integrative care, others find it while going through conventional therapies. Our care is tailored to the needs and desires of the individual.
Whether you are focused on prevention, newly diagnosed, further along your cancer journey, or in remission, our doctors are here to support you!
Here are some examples of patients that find success with us:
- Patients who have never had cancer and are interested in prevention. You may be at an increased risk or have a normal risk and want to do everything you can to reduce that risk. Research highlights the benefits of naturopathic medicine in prevention of cancer and our doctors would love to work with you! Ex: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31589120
- Patients who have been recently diagnosed and are looking for guidance and support. Our doctors will walk with you every step of the way as we form an integrative treatment plan. Studies show that naturopathic medicine can be effective in reducing side effects and may boost the efficacy of some conventional treatments. We have seen countless patients excel beyond expectations after integrating naturopathic medicine with conventional oncology. Ex: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25716014
- Patients who have advanced disease and are utilizing conventional medicine. Depending on the current health of the patient, when combined with conventional treatment, naturopathic medicine may be effective in improving quality of life, reducing side effects and may boost the efficacy of conventional treatment.
- Patients with advanced disease and no more conventional options. In these cases, depending on the current health of the patient, naturopathic support may improve quality of life. Our medicine can be a helpful adjunct to end of life care.
- Patients in remission. Together, we can custom formulate an integrative care plan to help reduce your risk of recurrence. There are numerous studies supporting the use of naturopathic medicine on reduction of cancer risk. Ex: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31280187
For more information, please see our FAQs page under “Cancer Care”. The doctors and staff at Walnut Creek Naturopathic look forward to working with you!
IV Nutrient Infusions
The Walnut Creek Naturopathic IV Nutrient Infusion Lounge has been offering IVs to our patients for years via the hands of our very skilled staff. Our medical director, Dr. Heather Barrett, has given thousands of IVs of various types through out her career and is excited to be able to offer a number of cutting edge therapies to the community with the aid of her highly qualified team.
Why IV Nutrient Infusions? IV Nutrient Infusion therapy is a way of getting vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients into the bloodstream quickly and effectively while bypassing the digestive system. This can be incredibly important for individuals who either have a compromised digestive system that does not assimilate nutrients very easily and/or for individuals who cannot tolerate oral supplementation. IV nutrient therapy can also be used when very high doses of nutrients are required that cannot be taken orally. Using IV administration of nutrients allows for maximum concentration of nutrients to reach the tissues most in need of them.
• The Vitality
• The Immune Boost
• Glutathione Push
• High Dose Vitamin C
• Ozone Major Auto Hemotherapy
• Alpha Lipoic Acid
• Heavy Metal Chelation
• The list goes on!
Indications for IV Therapy:
• Bacterial, viral & fungal infections
• Integrative Cancer Support
• Autoimmune disease
• Chronic pain, fibromyalgia
• Pre-post surgical support
• Neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s, ALS, MS
• Post Strokes and MIs
• Traumatic brain injuries
• Chronic fatigue
• Gastrointestinal disorders and diseases
• Anti-aging and support of optimal health
• Enhanced athletic performance
• Many more
Contact our front desk to find out more about the IVs offered
Schedule an appointment with one of the doctors to discuss your needs and determine which formula is right for you.
Prolozone is a natural injection therapy that utilizes oxygen to promote healing. It was developed and pioneered by Dr. Shallenberger. It is derived from the Latin word “proli,” which means to regenerate or rebuild, and the word ozone.
Healing is primarily established through the use of ozone, the most highly active form of oxygen available. Natural anti-inflammatories are injected into the area being treated, followed by an infusion of ozone. Prolozone therapy reduces inflammation and swelling, and provides the body with the critical elements that are crucial for regeneration and healing: vitamins, minerals, and oxygen.
Prolozone therapy can be used to treat a range of musculoskeletal conditions, including ligament and tendon strains, sprains, and mild tears, tendonitis, carpal tunnel, TMJ, rotator cuff injuries, herniated discs, neck and back pain, pulled muscles, and arthritis.
- Ozone improves circulation by enhancing the flow of your blood.
- Ozone increases cellular oxygen uptake by stimulating the enzyme DPG (diphosphoglycerate). Increased oxygen enhances your body’s ability to fight viral, bacterial and fungal infections.
- Ozone is a powerful regulator of the immune system. It calms down the immune system in cases of auto-immune disease, and stimulates the immune system when it is under active (such as in cancer and chronic infections).
- Ozone is a powerful mitochondrial stimulant. Decreased mitochondrial energy production is the underlying cause of all degenerative disease, and MAH can correct this.
- Ozone can boost your body’s antioxidant capabilities.
MAH is an extremely safe form of ozone therapy when provided by a qualified medical professional. MAH generally results in very minor, if any side effects, and the potential for these side effects will be discussed before your first treatment. (Direct intravenous ozone, however, can be very dangerous and is not practiced in this office.)
Ozone can be an effective treatment for a number of conditions, as well as provide continuing defense against the process of aging. Ozone has proven to be effective for:
- Oncology- This therapy can be exceptionally effective when combined with high-dose vitamin C IV therapy
- Chronic Infections (Herpes, Hepatitis, HIV, HPV, EBV, Candida, etc.)
- Acute Infections (Colds and Flus, Bladder Infections, Bronchitis, etc.)
- Allergies and Chemical Sensitivities
- Coronary Artery Disease and Cardiovascular Disease
- Enhanced Athletic Performance
- Macular Degeneration
- Neurological Disease
- Lyme Disease
- Chronic Fatigue
- Chemical Sensitivity
- Chronic Inflammatory Conditions
- Auto-Immune Disease
- Wound Care
- Asthma and COPD
The number of treatments that you will require depends on the condition you are trying to treat and the results you want to achieve. Although everyone’s treatment regimen will differ slightly, some conditions do require more frequent and more numerous treatments than others. This is something that can be discussed and determined with your doctor.
It is important to remember that although ozone is an extremely effective and crucial modality, it is only rarely effective by itself. To achieve significant healing results, it is important to combine this therapy with a complete naturopathic treatment plan.
Although MAH is an extremely safe therapy, it is not safe to use in everyone. MAH is contraindicated for the following:
- Pregnancy and Lactation
- Hyperthyroid (if uncontrolled)
- G6PD Deficiency
- Active Bleeding or Acute Hemorrhagic Disease (ie. Hemophilia)
- Acute MI
- Allergy to Heparin